About Nordic Walking
Nordic Walking is an enhancement of ordinary walking - it makes something we can all do . . . twice as effective!
Nordic Walking uses poles to in order to add two major benefits to walking:
- The use of poles means the upper body muscles are used as well as the legs.
- The poles help to propel the walker along - this means he/she works harder than usual yet the support given by the poles makes it feel easier!
Nordic Walking is a specific fitness technique and is not to be confused with trekking, hill walking or trail running as the poles are not planted in front of the walker/runner but in a specific way that increases the use of the upper body. It can be done by anybody, anywhere and does not require expensive equipment or clothing.
Nordic Walking is the fastest growing fitness activity in the world and is used by individuals, personal trainers, health clubs, physiotherapists, doctors and health promoters because it is highly effective, affordable and FUN!
Nordic Walking technique MUST be learnt correctly if the participant is to get the most out of the activity - the full Health technique that ensures the whole body works efficiently is only taught by NWUK qualified Instructors.
Nordic Walking is quite unique in that it provides benefits for everybody from those with medical problems to the super fit.
Whatever age, fitness level or goal, - Nordic Walking is suitable, effective and enjoyable.
- Tones the upper and lower body at the same time
- Uses 90% of the skeletal muscles
- Burns up to 46% more calories than ordinary walking
- Reduces the pressure on knees and joints
- Great for the Heart and Lungs
- Ideal for neck, shoulder and back problems
- Poles propel the walker along, making it easier to move faster then normal without feeling the effort.
- It is one of the most effective cross training techniques for athletes and sportspeople who require ultimate cardiovascular and endurance conditioning.
- Can be done anywhere - no need for hills, country paths or even snow!
- It appeals to all ages and fitness levels.
- No need to wear special exercise clothing
- It's very sociable;participants can chat as they go!
- It is easy to learn and to keep up.
- It combines exercise with the nature which has been proven to boost mood.
Nordic Walking can be adapted to take participants through a range of levels depending on their health, fitness level and any specific goals they may have.
1. Health improvement:
A gentle range of movement that encourages general mobility.
2. Fitness development
A slightly more vigorous movement that takes the participant into a full body workout and facilitates increased calorie burn.
3. Sports specific
Highly effective method of cross training for any sportsman/woman that involves bounding, jumps and Nordic running
Each level has a specific range of movements that need to be learned and practiced - NWUK Instructors are fully trained to help participants learn good technique and can identify faults early in order to avoid potential problems.
The correct poles are also an integral part of the technique - only those with the correct hand strap will enable the full movement.
It is really important to learn good technique that is tailored to the requirement of the individual - poor technique and wrong sized poles can result in discomfort and injury.
Watch a video of the correct technique here.
Denise Paice is a NWUK qualified Instructor. You can see her personal page on the Nordic Walking official web site by clicking on the following link. Denise Paice's personal page on the Nordic Walking official web site.
For more information about Nordic Walking, just click on the following link which will take you to the Nordic Walking official web site. The Nordic Walking official web site.
The Mayor of Havant took a moment out of her busy schedule to unwind with a massage. Cllr Fulcher enjoyed a Indian head massage with Denise Paice, the massage was very relaxing and took me away from t...
When Complementary Therapist Denise Paice offered me a Thai massage I jump at the chance. I had experienced Thai massage from Thailand and always felt better for it. My concern was a long-standing bac...